Bismillahhir rahmanir rahim:
بِسْــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ اارَّحِيم
In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful.
How many of us use these sunnah words during the day? How many of us know the following terms and its meanings? (http://www.revertmuslims.com/arabic.html)
- Assalaamu Álaikum (Peace be upon you) – by way of greetings
- Wa alaikumus salaam (peace be upon you) – in reply to the greetings
- Bismillah (in the name of Allah) – before making a beginning
- Jazakallah (may Allah reward you) – for expression of thanks
- Fi Amanullah (may Allah protect you) – by way of saying good-bye
- Subhaanallah (glory be to Allah) – for praising something
- Insha Allah (if Allah wishes) – for expressing a desire to do something
- Astaghfirullah (I beg Allah for forgiveness) – repenting for sins before Allah
- Masya Allah (as Allah has willed) – for expressing appreciation of something good
- Alhamdulillah (praise be to Allah) – for showing gratitude to Allah after success or even after completing anything
- Ya Allah (Oh Allah) – when in pain or distress, calling upon Allah and none else
- Amin (may it be so) – the end of a Dua or prayer
- Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilahi raaji’oon (to Allah we belong and to Him is our return) – this is uttered as an expression of sympathy of the news of some loss or some one’s death
- As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh -Peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you
- Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh-And peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you
- Bismillah – before making a beginning In the name of Allah
- May Allah reward you – JazakAllahu khair for _expression of thanks May Allah reward you for the good
- BarakAllahu fikum – responding to someone’s thanks May Allah bless you
- Astaghfirullah – repenting for sins before Allah I beg Allah for forgiveness
- Amin – the end of a Dua or prayer May it be so
- Sal allahu alaihi wasallam – whenever say the name of Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him (S.A.W.)
- Alaihi salaam – whenever say the name of a prophet Peace be upon him (A.S.)
- Radi Allah Anhu – whenever say name of male companion of the Prophet (Sahabi) May Allah be pleased with him (R.A.)
- Radi Allah Anha – whenever say name of female companion of the Prophet May Allah be pleased with her (R.A.)
- Radi Allah Anhum – Plural form of saying companions of the Prophet May Allah be pleased with them (R.A.)
- La hawla wala quwata illah billah – during the time of troubles There is no strength nor power except Allah
- Fi sabi lillah – giving charity For the sake of Allah
- “Tawakkal-tu-Allah – rely on Allah) to solve a problem
- Tawkkalna-Alai-Allah – we have put our trust in Allah) when you wait for a problem to be solved.
- Rahmah Allah – Allah have Mercy on him) when you see someone in distress.
- Na’uzhu-bi-Allah – when we seek refuge in Allah) to show your dislike.
- Inna Lillah – we are for Allah – when you hear about a death
- Atqaa Allah -fear Allah – when you see someone doing a bad deed.
- Allahu Yahdika – may Allah guide you – to forbid somebody to do something indecent.
- Hayyak Allah – (Allah maintain your life) when you greet someone.
- Allahualam – (Allah knows best) when you say something you are not sure of.
- Tabarak Allah – (blessed be Allah) when you hear a good news
- Hasbi Allah – (Allah will suffice me) when you are in a difficult situation.
- Azhak Allah Sinnaka – (May Allah keep you cheerful) when you seek another Muslim with cheerful countenance.
I hope this post helps you to understand and learn more about the basic words and phrases you use and might hear daily. Allah knows best.
Assalamu’alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ
May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you
// part of it is from 22ndcenturymuslimah.wordpress.com //